Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year 2011

Happy New Year 2011

It's a new year and a time for new beginnings. On this new day, let me list for you some of the things I'm happy about.

1. Big News!! The great Baptist preacher John Piper is back in the saddle after a long leave of absence. I love Piper for I feel he is a man of the word who has a heart for Christ and his Living Word. He has posted his thoughts on the Desiring God website. I encourage you to read it.

2. How can I not forget to start with the Grand Daddy of all parades and games, the Rose Parade in Pasadena and the Rose Bowl Game.

3. My next choice will be a bit controversial. Today, across the world, is the Celebration of the Motherhood of Mary, the mother of Jesus. This is foreign to most of us Protestants, except perhaps those in the more liturgical churches. This is a day in the celebration of the church year. We tend to downplay Mary's role in the Protestant church. I think this is a bit of a mistake as Mary, in the Gospels is described as "Blessed" for all ages. I personally believe we must honor Mary more than we do.

Here is an interesting review of a book from Ignatius Press regarding Mary in Byzantine Doctrine and Devotion. It is an insight into a church we know very little about.

4. Well, that's a short list of the things I'm thankful for today. I could go on and on, but since my readership is slim to none...I'll stop. But not without mentioning my greatest source of pleasure. My wife Shirley is the joy of my life. God has used her to turn a broken Humpty Dumpty into a man. I owe a lot to her. And then, of course, my Savior Jesus Christ, for whom I worship and adore.

That's it for now. I hope you share some of your favorites.

Happy New Year




No comments:

Post a Comment