Saturday, December 12, 2009

My New Five Pound Brick

I finally did it. I just received my new five pound brick. It's called the ESV Study Bible. For those of you less interested but curious, ESV stands for English Standard Version. It's one of the best versions of the Bible I've seen. And this ESV Study Bible is a gold mine. I love the ESV translation. I've had a regular ESV Bible for a few years now as well as ESV cassette tapes. (remember tapes?) I've never seen so much information packed into a study Bible like this one. It will take years for me to absorb all that is in it.
Why did I buy this particular Bible? Well, first of all, all my other study Bibles, while good, are rather dated. New archeological studies as well as new insights in the original texts have made a new Bible almost a necessity for the student of the Word. Plus, I like some of the reformed thoughts contained in the notes of the Bible.
Am I finished. No, I'd like to add to my collection a Lutheran Study Bible. From what I've seen it contains some great stuff as well. But that won't be for a while. I'd like an Orthodox Bible simply because of the historical insights of the Eastern church that you won't find anywhere else.
Now...I happen to know Santa has also set another Bible under my tree this year. You know how Christmas goes once it's just you and your wife alone at home. She doesn't know how to buy my books so I give her hints, or ...uh...I buy it and she puts the wrapping on it. Ha Ha. Come on now...don't tell me you don't do the same thing. I've talked to enough of you to know this happens all the time.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to studying the Bible in Chronological order in the very near future. Thanks Thomas Nelson.

Well, that's it for now. Not much news. It seems time is slipping away. My time is so limited on the net anymore. I have little time for my blog. But I'll keep up on it now and then and try to stay in touch with my limited contacts. You'll probably find my name on blogs of others more often than not as I try to reach out to others.
In the meantime...get into the word. The Bible is God's love letter to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment