Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Help

I need your help in some research. Recently I finished an interesting book by the home group guru, Frank Viola called From Eternity to Here. It is a book that is challenging and contains many wonderful ideas and thoughts. Frank has also co-written an earlier book with George Barna called Pagan Christianity. I have found this book quite disturbing as it seems to attack and undermine all, and I mean all, branches of Christianity except his own brand which is small group house churches. He is devastating toward the Roman Catholics and the Reformation maintaining that all of our worship in the church today is based upon pagan resources rather than the New Testament. I've only done a cursory reading of it, but it is filled with so many footnotes, it would take a month of Sundays just to research them. My initial observation is that he has taken a portion of facts and built an entire thesis around partial truths. I may be wrong and will be the first to admit it if I am.
His followup book, called Reimagining Church is his view of what the real church looks like, or so he thinks.
I wonder if anyone of you have read the book by Viola and Barna and have any other background stuff that critiques his works.
Thanks for your help.

No comments:

Post a Comment