Saturday, July 18, 2009

Confessions Of A Bookworm Part 1

I'm back. It seems I only have time to blog on the weekends right now. So today, I'll throw out some wandering thoughts and then you can respond. Maybe you have some confessions too.

O.K. Here goes. I have a confession to make. I'm a bookworm. Yup..one of those bookish bores. I'd rather have my nose in a book than be in a crowded room full of people. I sometimes wonder if I love my books more than people. Hah. I have a wall full of books, read and unread or partially read. But, I'm proud to say, mostly read.
It all started in my pre-school years. If there's anything positive I've gain from my childhood, it's a love for books. My mother started me off prior to first grade. I never attended kindergarden. The little two room school house in the coal mining town of Mahan, West Virginia only had grades 1 - 6. Everyone from grades 1-4 were in one room and grades 5 & 6 were in the other room.

I began reading on my own in the first grade. And get this parents, my first sex education book was shared with me by my mom in the first grade. Wise woman. She knew what trouble I'd probably get into if I wasn't grounded properly. Lot of good it did me! But, I digress.

Reading became a passion for me. Along came TV in the 1950's and my book reading took a dip. But I never lost my hunger for learning. Our first set of Colliers Encyclopedias in 1953 or 1954 opened the world to me. Oh, and along with that came a ten book set of Lincoln's Letters, and several classic novels, Aesop's Fables and other children's stories. My folks, who are in their late 80's still have those letters of Abraham Lincoln and I drool at the opportunity to crack them open again when I inherit them. I'll never forget having to cut some of the pages of those books because the publisher failed to trim the pages properly.

So reading was a passion early on. I went into debt buying books over the years. Thankfully, my wife who is my total opposite has cured me of that. I don't buy anything I can't pay off right away anymore. Unless it's major like my computer that I had to buy after my laptop went belly before I could save for a new one. After all, today, being without a computer is just a major inconvenience in todays world where you have to be in contact with your job and everyone else in this world. At least I convinced myself of that fact. Besides, I'm paying it off much earlier than expected due to large payments.

Back to my long bookish story. Books are my second love. My wife being my first. Unless you count God, of course. I love the feel of a book in my hand, the smell of the pages and the thoughts that spring from those dead words. Which is remarkable because I tend to be rather flighty. I have a short attention span. My mind wanders easily. I'll often suddenly discover I've read several pages and I can't remember a thing I read because something I read earlier sent me off into another stream of thought totally unrelated to what I was reading.
So I have to go back and pickup where I left off. Sigh...such is the case of one with ADHD. (Well, I don't know for sure about that last statement, but I forget why I wrote it.)

Reading opened my mind up to new worlds. New ideas. It kept me up with current thought. It also locked me in one path as well. I'll explain more, maybe next week or when I have more time. Reading can lock you into a closed system or release you to explore uncharted territories. Stay tuned. I hope I can unlock some of your doors to explore new ideas. (yeah..it could include a Kindle for you techno freaks.)


1 comment:

  1. Greetings, Richard,

    I followed you back to your site after having spoken with Dave Armstrong.

    It sounds to me like you and I are quite a bit alike, at least in the book area. If you get a chance, check out this short article I wrote a couple of years ago. I think you'll find something familiar there, maybe even yourself!

    I'd say that our lot (yours and mine) is a lonely one, but we both know that isn't true.

    Blessings in Christ,

    Pilgrimsarbour (Tim)

    ReplyDelete