Friday, April 17, 2009

Interruptions

Have you ever tried to get something done and all you get is interruptions?  This is one of those days.  This morning, I'm at home waiting for my Dish network repairman to come and reinstall my dish after it blew off in this last week's windstorm we had here.  So I figured, since I have a few extra hours to be creative before the work was done and before I'd go to work.  Well, you guessed it.  One little thing after another has interrupted my plans.  
Little things mostly, cats demanding attention,  my wife finally getting up...I get up very early so that is normal.  She's retired, I'm not.  Now I'm not saying she's an interruption...well...O.K.  I confess...I was selfishly perturbed when she awoke.  I know, I know...I'm a jerk.  But when I'm concentrating on putting together my brilliant thoughts...clearing my throat...there's this..."Is the heat on?"  or "How's the kitty outside?"  or "Did you make coffee this morning?  You know...silly little interruptions.  Then there is guy outside deciding to use his wind blower to blow the street clean.  

I hate getting interruptions.  Like just now...my infernal email just beeped me letting me know someone was interrupting me.  And you know...I'm not disciplined enough to wait until later to see who interrupted me.  It just hovers over me like a big cloud until I sweep the cloud away to look.  And yes, I looked.  One of my prayer team members was kindly letting me know she would be available this Sunday to pray with anyone who wanted prayer.  Now, I'm feeling guilty for feeling interrupted.  

You get the picture?  How often does this silly little scenario play out in your life?  We are so wrapped up in ourselves that we have no room for others.  The Love God, Love People, Serve the World purpose we have in our church becomes just that, a purpose statement that means my little selfish agendas are interrupted.  Jesus's own words "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and all your mind and all your soul" and "You shall love your neighbor as yourself" is just another impossible command to fulfill.

Excuse me, my wife just interrupted me to take my dirty clothes basket to the laundry room.  I'll be back after the latest interruption.  

See, this is real time folks.  Abba?  Why did you make living this life so hard?  I can't even be patient with these minor little interruptions.  I guess this is what you call the moment of truth.  If I can't trust Abba to give me the patience even in these little interruptions, what's it going to be like when my world crashes around me.

The classroom of faith never ends folks.  We can't do this on our own.  Only our Lord can give us the ability to live his life on the fly.  Abba, Jesus, Holy Spirit...Here I am.  Do your thing in me because I'm a flop on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment