Saturday, April 4, 2009

Greetings seekers

Greetings to all my friends to my first post. I'm not sure where I'm going yet with this adventure, but you can be sure it will be fun. Let me introduce myself. My name is Richard Olsen. I'm married to the most wonderful woman in the world. Sorry, I'm prejudice! We live in Silicon Valley in the middle of some of the most productive people in all the world. It is also one of the most spiritually empty areas as well. More on that later.
I'm also at the upper end of the age game, so am not one of the young whippersnappers who make the most waves in this blogging scene.
My hobbies are fishing and reading and walking. Our dream is to eventually retire in a few short years and move to the home we have in Oregon. There I'll join a fly fishing club and become one of those funny looking guys with long poles and bug on a string. I love to read, primarily church history and theological tomes. I'm one of those guys that will walk out of the dark corner of a library, brushing dust off my shoulders and cracking open little read treasures. We've forgotten how to read in this generation, so have not learned the lessons of the past. As a result we are committing many old errors of the past.
My faith is in Jesus Christ. Actually I'm what you would call a trinitarian. I believe in God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, One God, Three in One. Jesus is wholly God and wholly man. I love the new descriptions that make the trinity personal. Abba or daddy is my Father. So I believe in Abba(daddy)Jesus Holy Spirit, One God.
This blog will be friendly to a wide variety of faiths. The church is one, universal, catholic. So you will find references and pointers to my favorite writers of many traditions. There are marvelous teachings found in the Orthodox faith, Roman Catholic faith, Evangelical and Fundamentalists that can lead us to a closer walk with our Daddy. People like Matthew Gallatin from the Orthodox tradition, a magnificent teacher. Scott Hahn, great Catholic theologian and reformer from Franciscan University along with Peter Kreeft, outstanding philosopher from Boston College. Evangelicals like my pastor John Ortberg from the Menlo Park Presbyterian Church. Even fundamentalists like John Piper from Minneapolis. Wayne Jacobson, author of The Shack and others in the new Emergent Church /house church movement. Yes, an odd collection of folks, but probably mirroring a lot of what I am.
This blog will be updated at semi-regular intervals. My time doesn't allow me to post daily. Plus...I'm like a lot of you, (grin/wink) I put things off too often to be regular.
So visit and comment now and then. If you raise questions I can't answer I'll try and get help from the "experts"...meaning all my fellow bloggers.
So for now, I'll bid adieu. Just remember, the entire Bible can be wrapped up in two sentences. You shall love the lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind. And, you shall love your neighbor as yourself.
That says it all. If we do that, God will do the rest. If he can redeem me, he can redeem anyone.
God bless

No comments:

Post a Comment