Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Baby Blues Theology

One of the best comic strips on the web is Baby Blues  written by Rick Kirkman and Jerry Scott.  It's strip about a  family and its normal daily hassles.  All of us can see ourselves in the story lines.   Today, April 29th in my paper for instance, Baby Blue and momma are together.  If I mess up the names forgive me, but the strip is still new to me.  I just find it highly entertaining.  Anyhoooo, mom is apparently changing the linens in baby's crib.  Baby, walks up behind mom and says, "Mom, I can't find the pencil sharpener."  The next scene is a series of questions and answers. 
Mom:  "Did you look in the pencil drawer?"
Baby:  "No."
Mom:  "Did you look in the art supply box?"
Baby:  "No."
Mom:  "Did you look on my office shelf?"
Baby:  "No."

Next scene:
Mom:  "Well then...."
Baby:  "I said I CAN'T find it.  I didn't say I TRIED to find it."  

What a great line.  "I CAN'T find it.  I didn't say I TRIED to find it."

Have you ever heard anyone say, "I went to church the other day, but didn't find anything for me"   Or, "I can't find any proof for God in science. " Or maybe someone will complain church bores them or say "I don't go to church because they are nothing but a bunch of hypocrites.  
Others who don't even consider Christianity are constantly looking for more in their life.  More things, more love, more sex, more money.  They are never satisfied.  They always need more.  They always have to have the newest gadget, tv, car or whatever because they lose interest in the old one. 
What about Jesus?  If he is all I need, why aren't I happy in my faith?  Now that the financial system has cracked and crumbled, many people are realizing that what they had based their hopes on have vanished.  
Jesus said, "If you SEEK me, you shall FIND me."  If he is all he claims to be and we aren't finding him, could it be we really aren't looking for him?  
Most people are turned off by poor Christianity.  Christians who constantly fight each other make turn people off.  When the world sees Christians acting just like they do, then our words which preach goodness gets lost in our badness.
Jesus, I think, has another plan.  He said the world will know we are Christians by our love for one another.  And the only way to do that is for us to follow him and allow him to be the chief honcho, our main squeeze, our Mr. Number One, our lover.  
How do we do that?  We can't.  That's why he tells us to seek him.  Seek Jesus and I guarantee, you'll find him and you'll never be the same.  Read about him.  Find a Bible and read about him in the first four books of the New Testament. Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.  Read and reread.  Find a Christian who love Christ and loves others and you'll see Jesus at work in them.  And don't set up any preconceived notions of what to expect.  He'll show up unexpectedly.  
Seek Jesus and be patient.  You'll find him.  I guarantee it.

2 comments:

  1. There's a misconception that Christianity is a one-way street. But when God calls, we have to ANSWER. And then we have to "stay on the line". That involves "trying", as your post indicates.

    We have to TRY and love one another. We have to TRY and live worthy of the calling we have received. Of course, our trying is worthless without God's grace... but with God's grace, oh!, there's nothing better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me ask again for you to remove my name from all posts and comments... I don't know how you have done this but somehow you managed to get me on your list to whom all posts and comments are sent. Please brother. Not good blog etiquette.

    ReplyDelete